Thursday, April 13, 2006

Feelings

Where am I?

Wait, is this the Lent blog?

Quick, think of something profound!

Ok, erm... People in glass houses call kettles black.





Now we've got that over with, on with the entry!

Basically I haven't really felt like blogging lately - well, except for random run-of-the-mill stuff, which I decided to give up for Lent, so you won't be able to read, say, what I had for dinner yesterday. I was sort of hoping that blog entries here would inspire me to write but I think perhaps we were all hoping that and so haven't posted very much :)

One of the greatest frustrations of my Christian life is not feeling particularly holy. Perhaps that sounds silly. After all, what does it matter if I feel holy? Aren't I supposed to be holy? Or more accurately, being in Christ who is holy, shouldn't it not matter how I happen to feel?

I agree, but feelings are irrational, and generally if I'm not in a particularly godly mood then I confess I often find it easier to just pretend that I am. The thing is, pretending to be godly is even more ungodly than not being godly.

Are there any solutions to this? I sometimes feel as if the Church, particularly more Charismatic members of which, teach that if you feel stuck, frustrated, burnt out, fed up, or generally annoyed then you're backsliding or apart from God - but I'm not so sure this is the case. Sometimes there are genuine questions and problems that must be addressed and surely God is about more than just positive feelings and glowing smiles.

I think I ought to perhaps tie up the entry with something profound but I'm all out of profundities. Though if anyone has any wisdom to pass on or the desire to empathise please feel free :) And in case I forget, happy Easter :)

No comments: